Pages

"Spit in one hand and want in the other."

Last Saturday, Lori & I road-tripped to Thackerville, OK to see Sugarland in concert for her birthday and spent the night in Dallas at my oldest bubba, Chris' house. Oddly enough, it was also Oscar--one of Chris' closest friends' birthday, as well. They had a birthday shin-dig at Chris' house, so I spent the latter part of the night with Chris & his friends...who are hysterical! Apparently, word got out that I was moving to Africa because every single person inquired about my upcoming move. I believe I had the exact same conversation 11 times. Yes, I counted. It's astounding to me how "special" or "selfless" or "amazingly wonderful" people assume me to be, just because I'm moving to Africa to help care for little malnourished, orphaned babies. It's funny how becoming a "missionary" or "humanitarian-aid" entitles a person to so much more. Since I've made the decision to move to Zambia, I've been bombarded with compliments and affirmation for all of the above. I've had a bit of thinking time lately and I've decided people's responses weird me out so much because my intent or my heart towards what I do hasn't changed, therefore, I don't feel very different about living & working in Zambia. But, I guess I feel obligated to feel "saintly" or "mother theresa-y". If you know me, there is NO possible way I'd ever be able to honestly describe myself with those two words without a tinge of sarcasm or laughter. So, I guess I'll continue having awkward conversations involving people applauding what I do while I scramble to validate & credit their life's work. That's the honest truth. I believe we are all asked to do something. And, it's our obedience to that something that's important. Because if we all did our something, the world would be a different place. The world isn't going to be different just by my work in Zambia. The world is going to be different by people who choose to wait tables at restaurants. Or those that sell real-estate. Or those that help special needs adults live functional lives. Or those that write. Or teach. Or raise children. Or are U.S. missionaries. The list is never ending! The world is made different by those that choose to love others in all that they do.

Not to abruptly change the subject, but my Dad has a saying, "Spit in one hand and want in the other. See which one fills up faster." Growing up, I hated hearing this because it usually meant I wasn't going to get what I wanted or asked for. Today, if my Dad were to tell me this, I'd do my happy dance. My want hand is overflowing! At the beginning of June, I sent out support letters for Zambia. As many of you know, I need to raise about $4,500 cash budget (traveling expenses for the year) and I need to increase my monthly budget by $500/month in pledges. Can I be honest, again? Raising support isn't my favorite thing to do. I did not know how all this money was going to come in before I leave in August. That's a lot of money in only 2 months. Thus, began my normal bossy prayer, "God, I know I can leave in August without all my cash budget raised, but it'd really be nice if it all came in before August." Well, God showed me. Before July 1, I have raised more than $6,000 cash budget towards my year in Zambia! God is proving to not look stupid, at all. He's actually proving to look quite smart. See, I forgot to budget in things I need to pay for BEFORE I leave the country...malaria meds, 1 year supply of contact lenses, toiletries, etc.

I'm so glad God knows what He's doing. I'll just continue to be obedient. And blessed.

1 comments:

Heather said...

It's encouraging that I'm three out of the list of people that you said are changing the world :)

Post a Comment