Pages

Aha Moment

I majored in Family and Child Studies and minored in Psychology. I know alot about people and even more about myself from the types of classes and topics I studied. Due to FCS, I'm very good at recognizing and communicating how I feel, as well. I'm usually very self assured and at ease with how I feel--whether it's good or not so good. I don't need a list of emtions to pick out and identify the way i feel, normally.

Since arriving in Zambia, I've had no overwhelming feelings. No moment of clarity or sureity one way or another. I didn't feel immediately good or bad about my new home. I was even asked what I thought about Zambia to which I replied, "It's awesome." I really wanted to truly think that, however I wasn't quite there yet. Since arriving in Zambia, we've traveled from Lusaka to Livingstone to spend the weekend with friends from LA Tech on their way home from Zambia. So I still feel like I'm on holiday (AKA vacation) and that I just haven't arrived to my final destination yet, Mongu. Thus, explaining my inability to process feelings and thoughts about this new place. Honestly, I've traveled to alot of different places and Zambia just doesn't compare. I can't quite put my finger on it yet. For now, it's just different.

Riding back from white water rafting the Zambezi River in a loaded down Overlander (an open safari style truck with five rows of seating), I was just observing the villages and scenery we passed by. Children ran from their hut houses waving to us. Cows and goats roamed the dirt streets. Trucks having to dodge potholes large enough to possibly swallow small cars. Trees that knot and spiral towards the cloudless blue sky. Beautiful women dressed in shitange's perfectly balancing huge baskets on their heads and babies on their backs. Then this thought hit me, "This is where you belong. This is what you were made for." Aha! Everything clicked. It all came together--thoughts and feelings overwhelmed me. I got this big goofy grin that's stuck around for the rest of the day.

I'm here!

1 comments:

About Miranda said...

Awesome!
Love you!
I can picture you there.... goofy grin and all just fitting right in!

Post a Comment